Tushar Kanti Mahanti
Nine out of ten people you ask about the budget would refuse to commit either way--good or bad. If cutting down of excise duties on consumer goods allows one to buy more of these goods, higher expenses on travelling or hospitalization would take away the gains. The Finance Minister, P. Chidambaram, has to take something to pay for something. This year, the country is far more non-committal as it is only an interim budget and is liable to change drastically when the full...
Known for her oratory, Sushma Swaraj had first made a mark while campaigning in the 1977 elections after the Emergency was lifted. This correspondent remembers...
Finance Minister P Chidambaram sounded somewhat confessional when he was presenting the interim 2014-15 budget the other day. He conceded that much...
Wish you all a very happy and prosperous new year and a good time during the several festivals dotting this time of the year. May God bless you and your family, the nation, the world with peace,...
Merry Christmas Happy New Year This week, we grieved the demise of Nelson Mandela. He was saintly and a great humanist. He was a champion for human dignity and freedom. Spirituality fosters...
GET SUBSCRIPTION FOR 1 MONTH FREE!!
It’s not very often that some of the seniormost bureaucrats of the country take up th cudgels to rub the government on some sensitive issues. But...
By Larry Fine NEW YORK (Reuters) - New York Yankees slugger Alex Rodriguez has vowed to carry his fight against a season-long doping suspension into the courts, but win or lose the controversial player is not likely to disappear from the scene. The man...
- Milan Fashion Week seeks renewal
- Foreign military mission barred from Crimea
- Tears and fury as relatives wait for news of airliner
- Poland evacuates consulate in Crimea: foreign minister
- Concern mounts over attacks on media in Crimea
- State Department: 3 Americans on missing plane
- AP Exclusive: Counties undermine prison efforts
- Bachmann blasts Clinton as GOP summit ends
- Poulter rants on Twitter, Matsuyama apologizes
- Libya says will bomb North Korea-flagged tanker if it ignores orders
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysia jet
- South Africa: Mandela comrade stays in the game
- First paralympic medals in Russia under Ukraine shadow